What is a Chamber Ribbon Cutting?
A ribbon cutting is the ceremonial opening of a new or newly renovated/relocated business that has opened within the last six months. It can happen on an organization’s first day of business or it can take place weeks after the business’ soft opening. A ribbon cutting can also take place for a milestone anniversary or to celebrate a new location.
The ribbon cutting marks a very significant moment in the business, a unique promotion, and a great photo opportunity. The ceremony gives the business owner or manager a chance to say a few words about the business and publicly thank their financial backers, employees, friends and family, and/or business partners.
Who qualifies for a Ribbon Cutting?
You must be a new or current Chamber member in good standing (including dues paid) for the Garden City Area Chamber of Commerce to participate in your ribbon cutting.
The Chamber is available to assist with your ceremony if your business has:
- Opened its doors within the past six months.
- Moved to a new location or changed business names.
- Has been remodeled or has expanded its current location.
- Is celebrating a milestone anniversary.
Is there a cost to have a Chamber Ribbon Cutting?
Ribbon Cuttings are free for current Partner level members and above; for Business Level members, the cost is $150. The Chamber will assist with:
- Announcing your ribbon cutting on the Chamber’s website, social media pages, and eNewsletter.
- Create specialized event flyer.
- Create a video interview with to be posted on the Chamber social media pages.
- Providing our unique "giant scissors", ribbon, and markers for guests and staff to sign the ribbon.
- Make the invitation to the Chamber Ambassadors and other community dignitaries to attend the event.
- Conduct a video Facebook event.
Is a Ribbon Cutting my business event or a Chamber event?
This is YOUR event. The Chamber will gladly assist you with the items mentioned above.
While the Chamber will extend the above-mentioned invitations and list your ribbon cutting on our calendar, we strongly encourage you to send your own invites out to increase the attendance and awareness of your business’s opening. You should consider inviting your business partners, financiers, contractors, employees, customers, friends, and family to be with you to celebrate this momentous occasion in your business’s history.
What do I need to do to schedule a ribbon cutting?
Because your ribbon cutting is your event, there are no set rules.
Schedule your event using our Ribbon Cutting Reservation Form at least two weeks in advance. Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays are usually best days during the week for business people, not earlier than 8:30am and avoiding later evening times past 5:00pm unless this is the type business you have. We recommend avoiding lunch hour times. We do not assist with ribbon cuttings on weekends and holidays.
- Email your firstname.lastname@example.org your ribbon cutting flyer or business logo for the flyer.
- Determine who will cut the ribbon and provide remarks during the e video. The owners or top executives most frequently do the honors, but each business is different and can pick whomever they like.
- Your remarks or short speech about your business and thanking everyone who attended. This is usually done when everyone has gathered, just before the ribbon has been cut.
- Invite everyone you know! Invite your family, friends, past, current and potential customers, business associates (including your accountant, banker, and property owner,) suppliers, your employees, the media, and neighboring businesses.
- Consider having giveaways, especially logo items that guests can take back to their offices.
- Food and beverage is not required, but it makes a nice touch. The Chamber is happy to provide you with members businesses who can help you with catering.
- Prepare to give a quick tour of your business if you would like and be sure to have plenty of brochures available.
Other details to enhance your event...
Schedule Your Ribbon Cutting in Advance. Please schedule your event at least two weeks in advance. This allows you and the Chamber plenty of time to advertise your event. The earlier you schedule your event, the more advertising you will have.
Refreshments and door prizes, and decorations are optional and up to you. Many businesses add these extra touches when conducting a public grand opening in conjunction with the ribbon cutting.
A special invitation. The Chamber can provide you a member mailing list if you would like to mail an optional special invitation to members. This is especially encouraged if you are conducting a grand opening with prizes, business specials, and refreshments.
Complete and return the Chamber’s Ribbon Cutting Reservation Form. Please email form to email@example.com
Please note: Pre-registration with the Chamber for Ribbon Cuttings is required with two weeks advance notice. Events are scheduled based upon availability during business hours only (Monday – Friday, 9:00am – 5:00pm)
For more information, contact the Chamber at (620) 276-3264.